On May 14, 2018 Senate Bill 1098 was signed by Governor Ducey that will authorize the Arizona Department of Agriculture to license qualified applicants to grow and process industrial hemp starting in the Summer of 2019.
The time between May 2018 and May 31, 2019 will allow the Department to:
- Establish Rules
- Create an industrial hemp licensing program
- Appoint membership to the Industrial Hemp Advisory Council
- Develop an application and review process
- Develop a fee schedule
EFFECTS OF THE 2018 FARM BILL:
On December 20, 2018 the 2018 Federal Farm Bill was signed into law and legalized industrial hemp (“hemp”) by excluding it if from the definition of marijuana. It also expanded the definition to include seeds, all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids (including Cannabidiol (CBD)), isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers. There are also several other changes made that will open up the commercialization of hemp, without the limitations of an industrial hemp agricultural pilot program. However, there still remains the need for legitimate research to further the development of this crop in Arizona.
What does this mean for Arizona?
- The Arizona Department of Agriculture will still retain primary oversight of a licensing and compliance program
- Growers, harvesters, transporters and processors are still required to be licensed by the Department
- Allows for the commercialization of industrial hemp
- Allows for the interstate shipment of industrial hemp under the provisions of a licensing program
- Crops are eligible for USDA-FSA crop insurance
- Future USDA grant opportunities
- Plus More (Click Here to be Directed to the 2018 Farm Bill Website(link is external))
With the passage of Senate Bill 1003, the effective date for the Industrial Hemp Program has been officially moved to May 31, 2019.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE INFORMED OF UPCOMING MEETINGS AND IMPORTANT UPDATES, PLEASE SEND YOUR REQUEST, INCLUDING YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION TO: email@example.com
INDUSTRIAL HEMP APPLICATIONS AND FORMS
Applications, Forms and Instructions to apply for a license to grow, harvest, transport, and/or process industrial hemp are found here. Approved licenses will be issued after May 31, 2019.
ARIZONA INDUSTRIAL HEMP PROGRAM FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
[source Arizona Dept. of Ag]