On March 26, 2014, Governor Mike Pence signed the “Industrial Hemp” bill into law, IC 15-15-13, authorizing the Office of Indiana State Chemist & Seed Commissioner to obtain the necessary permits and authorizations for and production and regulation of industrial hemp in Indiana.
On December 20, 2018, the President of the United States signed the 2019 Farm Bill, which authorizes states to implement a hemp (= industrial hemp) program under the oversight of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, including removal of hemp from the definition of marijuana – a Schedule I drug. This change will allow commercialization of hemp as a legitimate agricultural crop separate from marijuana. Marijuana is still illegal to grow in Indiana.
Until the Indiana Hemp Statute is modified and new rules are adopted (expected in 2019), OISC will continue to license hemp researchers under IC 15-15-13, especially research focused on hemp processing infrastructure. It is anticipated that general growers licenses will be made available in 2020.
- Indiana Hemp Frequently Asked Questions (pdf, 303kb) Updated 01/22/19
- Indiana Application for Industrial Hemp Seed for Research (pdf, 151kb) Updated 9/27/17
- Basic Considerations in Drafting an Industrial Hemp Research Proposal for an Indiana Industrial Hemp License (pdf, 91kb)
- Indiana Protocol for Industrial Hemp Research Application (pdf, 155kb)
- Purdue Hemp Website
Please visit the following links for more information on the status of hemp in Indiana:
- Indiana Industrial Hemp Act, IC 15-15-13 (source: iga.in.gov)
- State Industrial Hemp Statutes – (source: National Conference of State Legislatures-NCSL)
- Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb on signing of the Agriculture Improvement Act and the agency’s regulation of products containing cannabis and cannabis-derived compounds (source: fda.gov)
- FDA comments on CBD in Foods (and Feeds) (pdf, 254kb)
- FDA release on use of Cannabis products
- Combined Federal Agency Statement of Principle re: Industrial Hemp (pdf, 35kb)
- DEA and Cannabis retains current law (August 11, 2016) (see links in document for full details) (pdf, 31kb)
- DEA-Clinical trials on CBD research (Dec. 2015) (use links in document for full details) (pdf, 196kb)
- Industrial Hemp DEA seed permit received for Purdue University researchers (pdf, 20kb)
- 2019 U.S. Farm Bill Hemp Language (pdf, 6.2MB)
- 2014 U.S. Farm Bill Provisions for Industrial Hemp – Section 7606 of the 2014 Farm Bill: “Legitimacy of Industrial Hemp Research” (pdf, 743kb)
- Research Links for Hemp:
[source Office of Indiana State Chemist]