1. Home
  2. Federal Regulations
  3. USDA Information for Producers

USDA Information for Producers

The interim final rule governs the production of hemp under the 2018 Farm Bill.  The interim final rule does not affect industrial hemp that was or is being cultivated under the 2014 Farm Bill programs.  That industrial hemp remains subject to the requirements of the 2014 Farm Bill.

To produce hemp, you first need to be licensed or authorized under a State hemp program, a Tribal hemp program, or the USDA hemp program.  The program you are licensed under depends on the location of your hemp growing facility.

The first step is to reach out to your local State department of agriculture or tribal government to see if they have a production plan that has been submitted to or approved by USDA.  To find the contact information for your State, please review the Grower Contacts for Hemp Information (pdf)

Status of Submitted Plans – This table summarizes the status of State and Tribal hemp production plans that are pending approval or have been approved.

If your State or Tribe has an approved plan or is in the process of developing a plan, you must apply to and be licensed or authorized under its hemp program.

If your State or Tribe does not have a pending or approved hemp production plan, you may apply for a USDA hemp production license. Applications to obtain a license to produce hemp under the USDA production program may not be submitted until November 30, 2019.

License applications under the USDA hemp production plan will not be accepted until November 30, 2019.  You cannot receive a hemp production license from a State, Tribe, or USDA, if you have been convicted of a felony related to a controlled substance in the last 10 years.

An FBI criminal history report must accompany the USDA Hemp Program application.

Updated on November 11, 2019

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles